Introduction to Kayaking – ACA Level 1 Course
Saturday July 11th 2020 - 9AM to 3PM
The Introduction to Kayaking Course is designed to provide you the foundational skills to introduce you to kayaking as a lifetime sport! This comprehensive 6-hour, ACA-certified course will cover paddling equipment, strokes, paddling technique, capsizing your kayak, dealing with a swamped kayak, and kayak re-entries. Whether you have kayaked for years or are new to kayaking, come ready to get wet and have a good time in this skill and confidence building course!
AGENDA FOR COURSE
Here are some of - but not limited to - the skills we will cover:
• On Land Skills
• Loading and unloading your kayak
• Parts of a kayak
• Launching and Landing your Kayak
• On Water Skills
• Proper paddling posture
• Rocking and Balance
--- Forward Sweep
--- Reverse Sweep
--- Forward Stroke
--- Reverse Stroke
--- Out of Water Draw
--- Low Brace
• Controlled wet exits without spray skirts
• Emptying your kayak on shore after capsizing
• Emptying your kayak and re-entering in deep water
Blue Lake at Eastwood MetroPark
1401 Harshman Rd., Dayton, OH 45431
Eastwood MetroPark is a hub of outdoor recreation. With a variety of water-based recreational activities as well as land-based recreational and leisurely activities, the park offers visitors many opportunities to actively experience nature without leaving the city.
There are no prerequisite courses for this course.
$90 per participant
All fees include a non-refundable deposit of 25% of the total fee.
Please read our Cancellation & Refund Policy before registering.
Recommended age of 14 years or older
RENTAL OPTION FOR KAYAK & EQUIPMENT
• RENTAL equipment is also available on limited availability – READ MORE.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR COURSE
• Recreation Kayak
• Kayak Paddle
• Life Jacket and Whistle
• Proper Paddling Apparel and Footwear
ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
The following requirements must be met in order to participate in this trip. Please let us know if there are any issues.
• The participant must independently participate in all individual skills and activities listed in the trip description.
• The participant must be able to effectively communicate with the trip leader and other trip participants.
• The participant must be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
• The participant must be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
Participants are responsible to know their own abilities and skills and are responsible for their own safety and comfort. Great Miami Outfitters will not make any such determination; however, we will be happy to answer your questions or concerns. Outdoor activities may require some strenuous exercise.
If you do not meet the requirements listed above, or if you have any questions, email us at email@example.com, or call the store at (937) 938-5009 and ask to be connected to program staff.