REGISTRATION IS OPEN
Essentials of Kayak Touring – ACA Level 2 Course
Thursday, July 26, 2017 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
and Friday, July 27, 2017 - 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
$160 per participant
EQUIPMENT RENTAL is available on a first come, first serve basis.
Join us for this great opportunity to come and learn Sea Kayak and Touring kayaking skills in a fun and educational environment with lots of on water practice time. This course will teach you rescues and stroke refinement in conditions, group formations, basic radio calls and on-water communication, and much much more!
AGENDA FOR COURSE
Here are some of - but not limited to - the skills we will cover:
On Land Skills
• Find and draw routes on a chart
• Create and fill in their data matrix for legs of kayak trip
• Plan for multiple routes based on weather and also physical conditions
• Basic Navigation
• Identify limitations before paddling
On Water Skills
• Wet Exit with Spray Skirts
• Stroke Refinements for:
-- Forward Stroke
-- Reverse Stroke
-- Forward Sweep
-- Reverse Sweep
-- In-water Draw
-- Out of Water Draw
-- Low Brace
-- High Brace
-- Side Slips
-- Bow Rudder
-- Paddling in group formation
Rescues in Conditions
• T-Rescue – with and without aides
• Self-Re-entry with Paddle Float
• Scramble Re-entry
• Re-Enter and Roll with Paddle Float
Lake Erie East Harbor State Park
East Harbor State Park is situated on Catawba Island, beside Lake Erie--one of the largest freshwater bodies in the world. A two-mile-long strip of beaches and dunes separates the harbor from the open waters of the lake. The harbor itself is the former mouth of the Portage River, which once crossed the Catawba Island peninsula to flow into Lake Erie thousands of years ago. The rocky parts of Catawba Island are the Columbus Limestone, which in places bears the marks of glaciers which crossed the area several times before finally receding about 12,000 years ago. The Columbus Limestone also is known for forming spectacular sinkholes and caverns.
Less than 10 Miles
Thursday July 26 and Friday July 27, 2018
$160 per participant.
All fees include a non-refundable deposit of 25% of the total fee.
Read our Cancellation & Refund Policy before registering.
Recommended age of 16 years or older.
Introduction to Kayaking – ACA Level 1
Quickstart your Kayak plus Rescue & Re-entry Basics Course
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR COURSE
• Sea Kayak
• PFD and Whistles
• Neoprene Skirt
• Proper Paddling Apparel and Footwear
• Rental equipment is available – see below for details.
EQUIPMENT OUTFITTING OPTIONS
Rental Equipment: For a nominal fee, we offer limited availability on rental equipment including kayaks, paddles and life vests. Read more about EQUIPMENT RENTAL.
Transportation is NOT provided for this course.
Accommodations are NOT included in the course fees. There are local hotels and motels available in the area. There is a camping option available at a group rate and already reserved on site.
ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
The following requirements must be met in order to participate in this trip. Please let us know if there are any issues.
• The participant must independently participate in all individual skills and activities listed in the trip description.
• The participant must be able to effectively communicate with the trip leader and other trip participants.
• The participant must be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
• The participant must be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
Participants are responsible to know their own abilities and skills and are responsible for their own safety and comfort. Great Miami Outfitters will not make any such determination; however, we will be happy to answer your questions or concerns.Outdoor activities may require some strenuous exercise.
If you do not meet the requirements listed above, or if you have any questions, email us at email@example.com, or call the store at (937) 938-5009 and ask to be connected to program staff.